2014 Truckin' Throwdown
Give a Gift
Create Your Own Cover
Best Mechanic’s Cart Under $250 - Truckin Tough
2013 Holley LS Fest
2012 Ram R/T - Blurred Lines
New Products - March 2014
1940 Dodge Pickup - Infamous
Bad Trucks Gone Good - Parting Shot
2010 Ford F-150 FX4 - Maximum Exposure
1989 Chevrolet C1500 Project Rehab: Serious Small-Block Part 1
JL Audio System - Performance Audio
JL Audio System - Performance Audio
Adding HP to Your Sound System without Losing Utility
, Photography by
“Big” Ryan Benedict
September 01, 2011
16. This triangular plate is included in the Stealthbox kit and is bolted to the three factory holes in the interior trim panel. Before it was bolted, a stud was inserted into the center hole. This stud will be used to secure the enclosure to the interior panel.
16. This triangular plate is included in the Stealthbox kit and is bolted to the three fac
17. As you can see, the JL Audio Stealthbox comes ready to be installed right out of the box. The two 10W1v2-4 10-inch subs can handle up to 600 watts and come covered in speaker grilles to protect them from any type of damage. Each Stelathbox comes color-matched to your interior.
17. As you can see, the JL Audio Stealthbox comes ready to be installed right out of the b
18. With the subs out of the box, the wiring was ran into the interior trim panel and the enclosure secured to the triangular plate stud. A second mounting bracket was also secured to the upper rear quarter window molding area. It keeps the Stealthbox from sliding forward and was secured with a 3/8-inch speed nut.
18. With the subs out of the box, the wiring was ran into the interior trim panel and the
19. For most audio shops, this would be the conclusion to the install—a nice-looking, great-sounding subwoofer enclosure. However, Performance Audio knew this Tahoe would be attending truck shows, so they went the extra mile to make it look really custom.
19. For most audio shops, this would be the conclusion to the install—a nice-looking, grea
20. James began making an outer trim panel by tracing the lines of the rear quarter window area onto a piece of MDF board.
20. James began making an outer trim panel by tracing the lines of the rear quarter windo
21. Each piece was trimmed and cut to make a smooth control and then each piece was clued to form one large panel. James then went ahead and began using lightweight filler to mold the pieces together.
21. Each piece was trimmed and cut to make a smooth control and then each piece was clued
22. After the panel fit perfectly, the speaker opening was traced and cut out.
23. Once it was wrapped in black vinyl, the piece looked like it came from the factory and sounded incredible. The crowning jewel was the Performance Audio logo on top of the trim panel. This install proves you can have ear-pounding audio in your trunk of your SUV without sacrificing space and utility.
23. Once it was wrapped in black vinyl, the piece looked like it came from the factory an
Your Questions Answered
Degree of Difficulty:
Time Spent Working:
Interior trim tool, screwdriver, router, jigsaw, welder, crimpers, heat gun, assorted sockets
JL Audio C3-650 Evolution convertible components
JL Audio M400/4 marine four-channel amp
JL Audio M600/1 marine monoblock am
JL Audio Stealthbox SB-GM-ESC/10W1v2/DG
(prices are MSRP from JL Audio and do not include audio cables or labor)
10369 North Commerce Pkwy
3939 S. Broadway Ave
View Full Article
Enjoyed this Post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed, or use your favorite social media to recommend us to friends and colleagues!