Shaving your door handles is a big step in several key areas. First off, you are making a commitment towards a real custom ride. Second, you're trusting someone else can do the bodywork. And third, you believe the product being installed will not permanently lock you out of your ride. We've had dozens of trucks with shaved doors and will admit there are pros and cons with eliminating the handles. A clean truck, however, with no obstructions on the body is a show-winning combination and we believe that once done right, shaved door handles should be considered a custom-truck must.
We've shown you how to perform the bodywork in recent issues, but in this installment we wanted to show you how easy the actual installation of the solenoids, poppers, and wiring is to accomplish. To help us, we went to AudioToyz in Las Flores, California, where Jesse installed a set of SPAL 40-pound solenoids. We felt reassured installing the SPAL components in our project truck, because all of the products are made in the USA and rigorously tested to meet strict requirements. It only took about an hour and a half to have our doors popping open with the push of a button. Check out the photos to see if your truck is in need of shaved handles.
1. Here is the SPAL 40-pound door handle shave kit. The box included two solenoids, high-s
2. Jesse, from AudioToyz, in Las Flores, California, began the install by first removing t
3. Before any holes were drilled and the SPAL solenoid had been mounted, Jesse crimped the
4. With the wires loosely run and the cable length decided, Jesse crimped the supplied alu
5. Once it was secured, the solenoid with the cable attached was placed inside the door an
6. After marking the holes, Jesse drilled the holes for the solenoid mounting bolts.
7. He then was able to tighten the bolts and secure the solenoid to the door.
8. Here, you can see the solenoid from the inside of the door panel. Jesse then carefully
9. Jesse then performed a quick test to make sure the door was opening OK. Once he was sat
10. Rather than using the supplied SPAL control box and remotes, Jesse tapped into the Vip
From the Driver SeatPopping the doors from an entire parking lot away is just too cool, and it always makes naive car people ooh and ahh. The SPAL kit is a quality setup, and so far our doors pop every time.
|YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED: |
|TIME SPENT WORKING: ||3 hours |
|DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY: ||Beginner |
|TOOLS NEEDED: ||Wirecutters, drill and bits, and standard wrenches |
|PARTS USED: || |
|SPAL 40lb Door Handle Shave Kit ||$154.95 |
| ||(price from SPALusa.com) |